What is the Early Childhood Education Professional Development Program at DVC?

The ECE Professional Development Program, with funding from First 5 Contra Costa, provides academic and financial support to ECE students who work with children age 0-5 in a licensed/license exempt early care and education programs. If you are working towards a Child Development Teacher Permit, an Associate Degree in ECE or BA transfer requirements, there are services available at DVC. First 5 Contra Costa www.firstfivecc.org also offers financial rewards and incentives to early care providers who achieve higher levels of professional development and education!

What new services are available at DVC?

Academic support services include individual advising and educational planning, Child Development Permit application assistance, Math, ESL/English/GE Study Groups and tutoring, textbook loans, and "Lost Wages" scholarships for ECE-250. PDP Support Services Flyer.

Applications for services are available by contacting the ECE Professional Development Office or download the form: 2020-2021 ECE PDP Service Request.

How can I find out more about the program services?

The Professional Development Program office is located in FL 202 on the second level of the DVC Early Childhood South Building. The office is open Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. and Monday evenings 4-7 p.m. by appointment. Program information handouts and application forms are available in display boxes outside the office door. The Program Coordinator, Sue Handy, can also be reached at 925-969-2393 and by email shandy@dvc.edu

What are the First 5 financial benefits and how do I qualify?

First 5 offers a reward for completing coursework towards the Child Development Teacher Permit and the DVC Associate of Science in ECE Degree. PDP Benefits are awarded based on annual priorities for employment location and employer type. Recipients must be employed more than 9 months in a licensed/license exempt early care and education program/family child care home, with children age 0-5, at least 15 hours weekly. Recipients must complete PDP professional development activities each year in addition to the planning and completion of approved educational units.

How do I apply for First 5 financial benefits?

Application forms will be available after July 1 at the DVC PDP office or on the www.first5coco.org website. Information workshops are held every year at the beginning of the fall term. All participation requirements must be completed by June 1 each year.

What other financial assistance is available to ECE students?

Students employed in any licensed/license exempt childcare program for children age 0-12 can apply for a tuition stipend from our Child Development Training Consortium grant. Information is distributed at the beginning of each term in ECE classes and applications are available at the PDP office and at www.childdevelopment.org.

What are the requirements to obtain a California Child Development Permit?

The Child Development Permit Matrix lists the educational and experience requirements to receive all the levels of the Child Development Permit. Application details and forms are available by contacting the ECE Professional Development office.

How do I get started on the pathway to become an Early Childhood Educator?

The ECE Certificate and Degree Program Student Handbook outlines all the requirements and suggested steps to accomplish your goals. Printed copies are available outside the PDP office, in ECE classes, or can be mailed.