Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to take an assessment/placement?

The Online Placement process will place you into the appropriate course for your current skill level in English or ESL (English as a Second Language) and math. The placements are also required for priority registration

Do I still need to take an assessment/placement if I’m only taking a class for enjoyment?

No.  Although, in order to qualify for priority registration you must complete the assessment/placement process, or submit exemption paperwork if you have previously attended college or hold an AA degree or higher.  Priority registration also requires you to complete the orientation and educational planning. Learn more about priority registration.

Can I fail the assessment?

The English, ESL, and math assessments are based on your high school information as well as your self-evaluation. There is no passing or failing.

The chemistry assessment places you into Chemistry 108 or 120 based on the skills you demonstrate.

How often can I take an assessment?

The online placement process can be taken once for students graduating from high school during the current year and once after the senior year grades are posted.

The Guided Self-Placement can be taken once.

The chemistry assessment may be taken once a term.

Please Note: The spring and summer terms are counted as one whole term.

How can I take Math-192 class if I did not place into it?

If you wish to enroll into Math 192 another option is to complete the CLEP Precalculus Exam and pass with a score of 50 or higher.  Please visit the College Board for information regarding the exam as well as the process to sign up for it.  Results, along with a Prerequisite Equivalency Form, will need to be submitted to the Admissions Office.   Another option is to challenge the course, please visit the following site for additional information:

I am a DSS student, are there other accommodations for me?

If you require extra time or other accommodations for a disability, please register with DVC's Disability Support Services office before scheduling an assessment (Student Services Center, room 248, phone: 925-969-2185).

Do I have to make an appointment to take the Chemistry placement?

Chemistry appointments are held at the Pleasant Hill Campus on a drop-in basis. 

Can I use assessment results from another college?

DVC accepts results from all California Community Colleges taken between July 1, 2017 to July 1, 2019.  You will need to send, email, or bring a copy of your placement to the Assessment Center, along with the class descriptions of the courses you were placed into. You must include your DVC student ID number on all documents. Without your DVC student ID number we will not be able to transfer your placement to our system.

Online placement (formerly Multiple Measures) results from other colleges are not accepted.

Can I take my assessment at DVC to use at another college?

No. Placements are only available to currently enrolled students. DVC will not send scores to any other school or others. 

Where can I find my placement results and when will they be ready? 

Your placement results will be available online on InSite within 24 business hours of completing the assessment. The online placement results (formerly Multiple Measures) will be available in your student record after 24 business hours.

  • Go to
  • Click on INSITE (or
  • Log in with your user ID and password
  • Click on Plan-Progress tile
  • Click on Assessment Scores 
  • Click on Test Summary 

Understanding your assessment scores placement chart.

Please note: Assessment Center staff cannot give results over the phone, mail, fax, or email.

Can I use my SAT or ACT for placement instead of taking the assessment?

No, we are unable to use these for placement.

Can I use my AP placement for placement instead of taking the assessment?

English assessment exemption: 

If you took the English Literature or Language Advanced Placement (AP) exam and scored a "3" or higher, you may submit your scores and  a completed Prerequisite Form to the Admissions and Records Office.

Math assessment exemption:

If you took the Calculus AB or BC Advanced Placement (AP) exam and scored a "3" or higher, you may submit your scores and a completed Prerequisite Form to the Admissions and Records Office.

Can I bring my child with during a chemistry assessment?

Children are not allowed in the Assessment Center and staff will not be able to watch any children while you are in the testing room. It is important that you find accommodations for your children while you are taking the any exam.

I live near DVC, but will be attending a far away college next term. Can I take my assessment for the other college at DVC?

No.  DVC does not offer proctoring services for other schools or institutions. 

What do my placements mean?

Your placement result can be found in Insite.  Please meet with an academic counselor to determine the appropriate level of math, English or ESL for your educational goal.

Contact the Assessment Center

Telephone: 925-969-2132


Fax: 925-682-8179

Office location: SSC building, room 140 (first floor)
Pleasant Hill campus map