Frequently Asked Questions

1. I have just applied to receive my Montgomery GI Bill education benefits for the first time.  When will I receive my first payment?

The VA will send your Montgomery GI Bill education benefits directly to you, the student.  It may take up to 12 weeks for the first payment to arrive, but the payment will be retroactive to the beginning of the course start date. 

2. What should I do if I decide to withdraw from a class or change my enrollment?

If you are receiving GI Bill education benefits and voluntarily withdraw from a class or change your enrollment, you must notify the School Certifying Official in the Veterans Services office. Changing from full-time to part-time status may affect the amount of your benefits.  Full-time status is defined as 12 or more credits per term.

If you withdraw because you are called to active duty, you must provide a copy of your deployment order to Gilbert Rocha, School Certifying Official. In addition, we will do whatever is required to help students who have been called up to active military duty transition out of the college as expeditiously as possible. In most cases, we will arrange for you to drop the term’s registration so you will owe no tuition for the term and receive no grades. In rare cases, there will be exceptions to this procedure, depending on personal and/or financial factors. We will be happy to work with you in order to help you make the best decision based on your situation.  Please contact the Veterans Services Office at 925-969-2121 for assistance.

3. I’m not sure what my major should be.  Can I talk with someone about my options? 

Yes, our veterans counselors are happy to help you. You can schedule an appointment by telephone 925-969-2140 or in-person at the Counseling Center appointment desk in the Student Services Center, on the second floor. See Counseling Center - how to make an appointment.