F-1 Student Travel Outside the U.S.

You do not need any documents other than your passport to exit the U.S., but you do need the following documents with you when entering the U.S.:

  • Valid passport and valid F-1 visa
  • Active I-20 (signature up to 1 year old is valid or signed copy*)
  • Proof of enrollment (class schedule or transcript)

*Due to COVID-19, Customs and Border Patrol (U.S. Immigration)  is accepting I-20s with electronic or digital signatures and/or copies of signed I-20’s at the port of entry. Therefore, you can request a signed copy of your I-20 to be emailed to your Insite email account and you do not need to have your original document signed. Once your request is received, we will review your records and send you a digitally endorsed copy of your I-20, which is officially permitted by U.S. Immigration at this time. Please allow 3-5 business days for processing. 

Thank you for your patience and we wish you safe travels!