Canvas DIY Instructions
Check out our on-demand videos and text-based instructions for leveraging Canvas effectively.
Canvas Basics Video Series
Our DVC Canvas Basics videos walk you through course set-up. Go through the videos
one at a time, or jump to the topic you want to learn more about.
1. Homepage Setup
2. Navigation Setup
3. Announcements Setup
4. Uploading PDF and Image Files
5. Creating Course Pages
6. Assignment Setup
7. Working with Modules
8. Publish Your Canvas Site
9. Copying Content in Canvas
The Canvas Video Guides
For additional video tutorials, see the Canvas Video Guides for Instructors. New releases include:
VIDEO SPOTLIGHT: New Gradebook (Learn more about the upgrade to New Gradebook in Spring 2020.)
VIDEO SPOTLIGHT: New Analytics (Learn more about new data-informed teaching capabilities.)
Online Network of Educators (@one) YouTube channel: Bite-Sized Canvas
The @one YouTube channel Bite-Sized Canvas offers short Canvas-based tutorials. Check out sample videos below, and consider
subscribing for more!
VIDEO SPOTLIGHT: Think You Know All There Is to Know About Due Dates? by Helen Graves
VIDEO SPOTLIGHT: What No One Tells You About Canvas Notifications by Helen Graves
Canvas text-based instructions
The Canvas Instructor Guide has helpful instructions, with screen shots, that walk you through using the platform.
Check out some of the most commonly searched parts below:
Canvas frequently asked questions
- When are Canvas sites created?
- Canvas sites are created automatically each term through District IT, typically seven
weeks before the start of that term.
- How do I request an additional Canvas shell?
- If an employee would like an additional Canvas site, please contact Jeanette Peavler
(firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kat King (email@example.com) with your request.
- Are there department-specific Canvas courses to support instructors?
- Yes, many departments host Canvas sites with support materials for their instructors.
Please contact your department chair with inquiries.
Additional Canvas support
- Access the Canvas Training Portal by logging into Canvas, clicking "Help" in the global navigation menu, and clicking
"Training Services Portal."
- You may wish to send your students to the Canvas Student Guides.
- Canvas - Ask the Community (This is a place to ask and find answers to more unusual Canvas questions.)
- Canvas DVC Faculty Support Line: 1-833-221-7461
- Canvas Support for DVC Students: 1-844-303-5586
Archive: Canvas Basics for face-to-face classes
Post your syllabus, tailor your navigation menu, and publish your course in under