A student is considered a California resident for tuition purposes if they are a citizen, permanent resident or person on an eligible immigration status who has established both physical presence and intent to make California their permanent home for at least one year and one day prior to the start of the semester. It is incumbent upon the student to provide documented evidence of their residency.

To reclassify residency status students must submit the residency questionnaire form with the required documentation. Reclassification requests must be submitted within the current fiscal year to have fees adjusted.

The residency questionnaire must be filled out completely and signed. Please note that all documentation provided must be dated at least one year and one day prior to the start of the semester. Non-citizens must provide proof of their eligibility to establish residency.

Once the residency questionnaire and documentation have been submitted, the Office of Admissions and Records will make a determination.  The student will be notified via the college issued email address, accessed through Insite.

Required Documentation

You may establish your residency by submitting the following required documentation:

  • Proof of eligibility (if non-citizen).
  • California State taxes for the year prior to the start of term.
  • A California issued driver’s license or ID card (issued 1 year and 1 day prior to start of term).

If you do not have both California taxes and a valid California driver's license or ID, you must provide 3 forms of proof from the lists below, at least one must be from group A.

Group A:

CA driver’s license or ID card
Divorce papers issued from CA
Registering to vote and voting in CA
Licensing from CA for professional practice
Carrying on of business or employment in CA
Vehicle registration in CA
Recipient of CA state services

Group B:

Ownership of residential property as primary residence
Continuous occupancy of rented or leased property in CA
Active resident membership in service or social club
Maintaining active checking/savings accounts in CA banks
Possession of hunting/fishing license as a CA resident
Federal taxes showing CA address (not used in conjunction with state taxes)
Utility bills (cell-phone not accepted)
Official high school transcripts (not college)
Affidavit from landlord stating length of residence


General Information

Any student, other than a non-immigrant (for example, those who hold F, B, J visas, etc.), who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition.


  • The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years.
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED or California High School Proficiency exam).
  • A student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

Nonresident students meeting the criteria will be exempted from the payment of nonresident tuition, but they will not be classified as California residents. They continue to be nonresidents.

The California Dream Act of 2011 was passed into laws AB 130 and AB 131.  At Diablo Valley College these laws allows undocumented AB 540 eligible students to apply for and receive several types of financial aid.  For more information visit the Financial Aid page.

Submitting an AB540

Submit the AB540 form with either official or unofficial high school transcript to the Admissions and Records Office. Please fill out the form completely including DVC student ID#. Students will be notified of their results via email.


Effective January 1, 2014- concurrently enrolled students (high school students enrolled in college classes) who are classified as non-resident students for tuition purposes may be eligible for the SB150 waiver of non-resident tuition while still in high school.  Students must be special admit part-time (enrolled in 11 units or less) students who currently reside in California and are attending high school in California.  Students wishing to take advantage of this exemption should complete a residency reclassification form and attach a copy of high school transcripts showing current enrollment.  Forms and attachments should be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office.

Please place it under the information regarding AB540 on the residency page.