Better FAFSA, Better CADAA Update

The 2024-2025 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and CA Dream Act Application (CADAA) are available.  If you plan to attend college for the summer 2024, fall 2024, spring 2025 semesters, start your financial aid application today.  If you have already applied, make sure you have listed Diablo Valley College on your application by entering our school code (001191).   

If you haven't already applied, maximize your opportunities for state financial aid by submitting your application by May 2, 2024. The Financial Aid Office is offering expanded hours in the Enrollment Lab, located on the first floor of the Student Services Center, to help students applying for aid.

Expanded Financial Aid Lab Hours: Monday-Thursday, 10 am - 12 pm and 1 pm - 4 pm

Below are our most Frequently Asked Questions related to 2024-2025 financial aid applications and support available to students.  If your question is not answered below, please reach out to our team at We will do our best to help you navigate the application process.

2024-2025 Financial Aid FAQs

Which financial aid application should I complete?
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you are:
    • U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Complete the CA Dream Act Application (CADAA) if you:
    • Do not have a social security number
    • Have Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
    • Have a U-Visa
Where can I get help completing my financial aid application?

The Financial Aid Office is available to help students apply for aid and navigate the financial aid process.  We offer in-person and remote assistance to new and continuing students.  

We offer support the following ways:

  • For in-person assistance, visit us in the Enrollment Lab at the Pleasant Hill campus during financial aid lab hours. 
  • For one-on-one assistance by appointment or remotely, please schedule an appointment by calling (925)969-2009.
When will I be notified of my 2024-2025 financial aid application status?

Due to the significant changes to the 2024-2025 FAFSA and CADAA, the Financial Aid Office expects to begin processing applications by summer 2024. 

For DVC to receive your financial aid application, you must:

  • List Diablo Valley College (school code 001191) first as your school of attendance.
  • Apply to DVC and have a student ID#
  • Provide your correct social security number (SSN) and date of birth (DOB) for the FAFSA

Students will be notified via their InSite email account of their financial aid status.  If you do not hear from our office by June 2024, you may email or call (925)969-2009. 

I owe a balance for my summer classes and I'm waiting for financial aid to cover my fees.  Can I still register for the fall semester with a debt on my student account?

Yes, due to the delays in processing FAFSAs and CADAAs, the college will temporarily allow students with an enrollment debt for summer 2024 to register for fall 2024 classes.  Once financial aid applications are processes this temporary deferment will be removed. Note that if you owe an enrollment debt for semesters prior to summer 2024, those balances will need to be paid before you will be allowed to register for summer 2024 and/or fall 2024.

To check the balance owed on your student account by term, you may log into Insite, select the Payment Tile, and check Account Activity.


2024-2025 FAFSA Specific FAQs

How has the FAFSA changed?

Summary of FAFSA Changes:

  • Students can add up to 20 colleges.
  • The number of questions on the FAFSA has been reduced.
  • EFC is being replaced with SAI (students can now have a negative SAI).
  • Student contributors without an SSN can now create a account, known as an FSA ID.
  • All students and contributors, whether they file a US tax return, must provide consent and approval (check a box ) that grants the IRS permission to transfer any data they have directly into the FAFSA form
  • Family size will be based on the number of tax exemptions claimed on the tax form(s) transferred into the FAFSA. If the family size has changed since filing the 2022 tax forms, a family size question will allow for reporting the updated family size.
  • The formula used to determine Pell Grant eligibility has changed, resulting in more students qualifying for the Pell Grant. 

Learn more about the FAFSA Simplification Act or watch this helpful video.

What is a contributor on the FAFSA?

Starting with the 2024-2025 FAFSA, anyone (you, your spouse, a biological or adoptive parent, or your parent's spouse) who's required to provide information on the FAFSA form, is considered a contributor.  Every contributor needs a account before accessing and completing their section of the online form.  Contributors can access their account by using their FSA ID (account username and password). 

Note: Contributors without an SSN can create a account to fill out their portion of your 2024–25 FAFSA form online.

To start the online 2024–25 FAFSA form, select “Start New Form.” You’ll be taken to the “Log In” page to enter your account username and password. After logging in, you’ll be given the option to select your applicable role to fill out the FAFSA form: “Student” or “Parent.” You (the student) should select “Student.” If a parent wants to start their dependent child’s FAFSA form, they should select the “Parent” option.

Watch these helpful videos more information about FAFSA contributors.

How do I submit a FAFSA if my parent(s) or spouse do not have a social security number?

In cases where the student's parent or spouse do not have the SSN required to create the FSA ID, they must authenticate their identity a different way in order to create an FSA ID and sign the FAFSA.  

When the 24-25 FAFSA once launched in late December, technical issues prevented contributors without SSNs from starting or accessing the student's FAFSA. That issue has been resolved.

Follow the instructions below for information about how to a parent or spouse contributor can complete the FAFSA without an SSN:

How to do I correct my FAFSA if I made a mistake completing the application?

If you make a mistake in what you reported on the FAFSA, you'll need to make a correction.  Follow these instructions to make changes to your FAFSA

How do I add a missing signature ot the FAFSA?

All required contributors (you, your parent[s], your spouse) must provide a signature on your 2024–25 FAFSA form. If your form is missing one or more required signatures, it isn’t complete, and you won’t be eligible for federal student aid.  Once your form is processed, you and your contributor(s) can follow the steps below to add a missing signature.

My FAFSA is rejected because I did not parental information and indicated I wanted to receive unsubsidized loans only.  How do I correct this?

On the 2024–25 FAFSA form, dependent students have the option to indicate that their parents are unwilling to provide their information and therefore want to apply for only a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. However, if a dependent student doesn’t provide parent information, their eligibility for other types of federal student aid can’t be calculated. This means they won’t be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant, Federal Work-Study, or a Direct Subsidized Loan.

If you selected to apply for only a Direct Unsubsidized Loan by mistake, follow the steps below to change your answer to this question and invite your parent(s) to your form.

How do I add or delete a school on my FAFSA?

If you want to make your FAFSA information available to an additional school after filing the FAFSA form, you may add that school’s Federal School Code.

Once your 2024–25 FAFSA form is processed, you can add or delete a school on your FAFSA form by doing the following steps:

  1. Log in to your account and go to your account Dashboard.
  2. Select the submitted FAFSA form.
  3. Select the processed FAFSA submission in the “My Activity” section.
  4. Select the “Add or Remove Schools” button.
  5. Search for the school by entering either the school code or the state, city, and/or school name and then select “Search.”
  6. Select the school from the search results. The school’s Federal School Code will appear in the form.
  7. Submit the update.

Note: No more than 20 schools may be listed on your 2024–25 FAFSA form at one time. (The FAFSA PDF has space for only 10 schools, while the online FAFSA form allows 20 to be listed.) If there are 20 schools on your FAFSA form, any new school codes that are added will replace one or more of the school codes already listed. Any school removed from the list won’t have automatic access to new FAFSA information you provided after you removed that school. However, the school will still have the data you submitted when you listed that school on the FAFSA form.



Frequently Asked Questions

General financial aid questions

FAFSA questions

Income and tax questions

Student Aid Report (SAR) questions

Additional documents and verification questions

Financial aid status, warning and suspension questions

Have more questions? Visit our Financial Aid TV page and search for your answer!

Can I call or email the Financial Aid Office about my financial aid file?

The Financial Aid Office is available to answer your questions over the phone after authentication of your identify.  You can also email us through your InSite email account or call to schedule a zoom appointment to access specific student information. You may also access your financial aid information on InSite.

How can I let someone else access my financial aid records?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student' financial and academic educational records. If you want to give someone access to your financial aid records that are maintained by DVC, fill out a FERPA Release form online that can be accessed from the Financial Aid tile from InSite.

What kind of financial aid can I apply for?

Submitting the FAFSA will determine your eligibility for the California College Promise Grant, Full Time Free Tuition Award, Pell Grant, FSEOG, Federal Work-Study, Direct Loan Program and the Parent PLUS Loan Program. Submitting the California Student Aid Commission GPA Verification Form, along with the FAFSA, will determine your eligibility for the Cal Grant and Student Success Completion Grant.

For more information on these financial aid options, visit ways to help pay for college.

What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?

The priority application deadline for FAFSA is March 2 of every year for most students. It is strongly suggested that you apply before the priority deadline to maximize your chances to qualify for state aid such as Cal Grant and Student Success Completion Grant. If you are unable to apply before the priority deadline, the Financial Aid Office accepts FAFSA applications through June 30 of the academic year.

Note that it can take between 4-6 weeks to process files, appeals, loan requests, and other financial aid documents. If corrections need to be made, the processing time is longer.

Do you have financial aid during the summer semester?

The Pell Grant, California College Promise Grant and Federal Work-Study are available during the summer. You must have a completed FAFSA for both award years to maximize your chances for financial aid for summer. 

How long can I receive financial aid at DVC?

You can receive financial aid at DVC until you reach 150 percent of your declared educational goal. For example, if your educational goal is to receive a certificate that requires completion of 24 units, you can receive financial aid until the completion of 36 units (24 units x 150 percent = 36 units). Students who have exceeded the maximum time frame may submit an appeal, available through the Financial Aid tile on InSite, to be considered for an extension for financial aid eligibility.

Can I apply for a loan?

Yes, you may apply for a loan by submitting a loan request online via the Financial Aid tile on InSite.   You may be required to complete additional steps once you submit your loan request.  You will be contacted via email with more information.

How will I know when my file is complete?

You will know that your file is complete upon receipt of an award letter via your InSite email account. You can also review your award letter via the Financial Aid tile on InSite.

What is an offer letter?

An offer letter is notification of the type and amount of financial aid that you have been awarded. Financial aid award amounts are based on full-time (12+ units) enrollment for the semester. You will be notified when you award offer is available  via your InSite email account.

Do you have to be enrolled as a full-time student (12+ units) to receive financial aid?

No. Payments are adjusted based on enrollment intensity. Students enrolled less than half-time (six units) are not eligible for the Cal Grant, student loans, SEOG, or Federal Work-Study. However, all students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA and the California College Promise Grant  Application to determine eligibility.

How is financial aid paid?

Financial aid awards can be sent to you via your selected refund preference with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc. You can select your refund preference on InSite by clicking on the "Financial Aid" tile, selecting "My FA Disbursements" and then choosing BankMobile-First Time Setup. If you do not select a refund preference, your financial aid will be paid in the form of a check and require additional processing time. For more information about BankMobile Disbursements, visit this link:

Also the following grants and loans are disbursed according to the following timelines.

  • Pell Grant payments will be disbursed twice a semester; 50 percent the first week of the semester, and 50 percent at the midpoint of the semester.
  • Cal Grant and SEOG are generally disbursed by the end of the fifth week of the semester.
  • Loan checks are disbursed at the start of the term as long as all loan requirements are met.
  • Federal Work-Study wages are paid on the tenth of the month.
  • California College Promise Grant are not disbursed directly to you based on your selected refund preference.  The grant is applied directly to your student account to off-set the cost of your tuition fees.

Can I pick up my financial aid check?

No. Financial aid funds disbursed by checks are mailed to the student's current address in the DVC database. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the address on file is correct. Please check with Admissions and Records Office to verify or make any changes to your address.

I'm transferring next semester, can I transfer my financial aid to another school?

Financial Aid information can be submitted to another college by adding the school code of the college you will be attending to your Student Aid Report. Adding an additional school code to your SAR can be done online by signing into your FAFSA or by calling the Department of Education and informing the representative that you will be attending another college.

You must have your Data Release Number (DRN), which is found on the bottom left hand corner of your SAR, to make changes on your SAR and/or to release copies of your SAR electronically to the school you will be attending.

Do you have financial aid for international students?

International Students attending Diablo Valley College on a F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor, or a G series visa are not eligible for federal student aid. However, international students are still eligible for scholarships. Visit the Scholarship Office located on the first floor of the Student Services Center.

International students may be eligible to apply for student assistant jobs on campus by contacting offices on campus to see if there are any current job openings.

Can I receive aid from multiple CCCCD campuses?

If you are enrolled in two or more Contra Costa Community College District colleges during the same academic year, you will only receive financial aid from the institution that you listed first on your FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application.  

What is FAFSA?

FAFSA is the Federal Department of Education's Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This is the most important document that needs to be completed by every student as it assess your eligibility for all forms of possible financial aid.

What is a FSA ID?

A FSA ID serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records. The FSA ID is necessary for you to sign and fully complete your FAFSA. You can create a FSA ID here.

If you are a "dependent" student, your parent must also apply for a FSA ID as you and your parent will need to "sign" the FAFSA. Your FSA ID is also necessary if you need to make corrections on your FAFSA. 

I have completed and submitted my FAFSA. What is the next step?

After completing the FAFSA, the Department of Education will process your application to determine your eligibility. Approximately 2-3 days after you submit your FAFSA, a Student Aid Report (SAR) will be emailed or mailed to you.

I am not a U.S. Citizen. Can I still apply for the FAFSA?

Yes. According to federal policies, you may be eligible for aid if you are a permanent U.S. resident with a Permanent Resident Card, a conditional permanent resident, or the holder of an Arrival-Departure record from the Department of Homeland Security showing any of the following designations: "Refugee," "Asylum Granted," "Parolee," "Victim of human trafficking," T-Visa holder, or "Cuban-Haitian Entrant."

I'm 18 and don't live with my parents, why am I still considered a dependent?

According to the Department of Education, a student is considered "independent" when one of the following criteria is met: must be 24 years of age; is married; has dependent children or a dependent that you provide 51 percent of financial support; is an orphan or ward of the court; is a veteran; or working on a graduate degree. This is the case even if you do not live with your parents and/or they do not claim you when filing taxes.

If you do not meet any of these criteria and you still believe you are independent due to other circumstance please come into the Financial Aid Office to discuss the possibility of requesting a unusual circumstances appeal.

What is a Student Aid Index(SAI)?

The Sudent Aid Index (SAI) is a formula-based index number that determines how much financial assistance a student may receive.

Why do I need to report my income from last year?

Previous year income is one factor in determining a student's eligibility for Financial Aid. When verification of income is required, the only tax returns that are completed are from the previous year.

Our income is lower this year than it was last year, what can I do?

If your income or your parent's income has decreased since last year, you can complete a Reduction of Income Appeal available through the Financial Aid tile on InSite. The form will be reviewed to determine if you are eligible to use the present year's income instead of the previous year's income on your FAFSA/SAR.

I don't have a copy of my taxes or W2s, where do I get a copy?

A copy of your tax transcript and W2s can be obtained online through the IRS website. You can also call the IRS at tel: (800) 829-1040 or in person at a local IRS Office.

What is a FAFSA Submission Summary?

Your FAFSA Submission Summary will list all of the answers you provided on your FAFSA. You should review these answers carefully to make sure they are correct. The report will also state your eligibility for financial aid.

I need to make corrections on FAFSA, what do I do?

If you filed your FAFSA electronically, corrections can be made online. Go to the FAFSA website, select "Access Existing Form", and log in to enter your corrections.

How do I submit additional forms and documents for my Checklist?

If you are determined eligible for financial aid, you may be required to submit documentation to verify the information you submitted on your FAFSA. Read, complete and submit the forms online or in-person (if required) to the Financial Aid Office, along with any other documentation that has been requested such as tax forms, W-2s, citizenship verification.

I submitted all my verification paperwork to the Financial Aid Office, now what do I do?

Once you submit all required paperwork, it will be processed and reviewed by a member of our staff. This process takes about 2-4 weeks. Once the paperwork is processed, you will either receive an "offer letter" or email which will state if you have missing documents and/or you need to make specific corrections to your paperwork. You can also call or visit  the Financial Aid Office to ask about your status. Note that it can take between 4-6 weeks to process files, appeals, loan requests, and other financial aid documents.

What is the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy?

The Satisfactory Academic Progress policy outlines requirements that all financial aid recipients need to meet in order to be considered on "satisfactory status." You must complete the required number of units per semester with a minimum semester and cumulative GPA of 2.0.

If I drop a class will it affect my financial aid?

You can drop a class, but first make sure that you are still enrolled in 67 percent of the number of units that you attempted. Refer to Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy and the Satisfactory Academic Progress Grid to see if you are completing 67 percent or more of all the units you are attempting.

If I drop a class, will I have to pay back the money?

You may have to pay back a portion of the money if you completely withdraw before 60 percent of the end of the semester.

What is Financial Aid Warning?

Financial Aid Warning is the status you will receive if your semester and/or overall GPA is below a 2.0 or your overall completion rate is below 67 percent of the units attempted. If you are on Financial Aid Warning, you will receive aid for the following semester only. You will not receive further aid unless Satisfactory Academic Progress is achieved during that semester. A student is not eligible to receive a loan in the semester they are on Financial Aid Warning.

How do I clear Financial Aid Warning?

To clear Financial Aid Probation, you must complete at least 67 percent of the number of units attempted and earn a semester and cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 in the semester you are placed on Financial Aid Probation. Please refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

What is Financial Aid Suspension?

You will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension if you do not meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements for two consecutive semesters and are on Financial Aid Warning. You will not be eligible for any Financial Aid until your status has been cleared by completing at least one term of Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above. You may choose to appeal your Financial Aid Suspension status by completing an Suspension Appeal available from the Financial Aid tile on InSite.

You will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension if you reach Maximum Time Frame, meaning, you have attempted more than 150 percent of the units required to complete your major and/or educational goal (150 percent completion includes all previous coursework attempted, even if financial aid was not received). A student may choose to appeal Maximum Time Frame suspension by completing the Maximum Time Frame Appeal available from the Financial Aid tile on InSite.

All financial aid students are required to check their DVC student email account through InSite on a regular basis in order to receive notifications, file status updates, announcements, and further instructions from the Financial Aid Office.

Financial Aid school codes:

  • DVC FAFSA Federal School Code: 001191
  • DVC CA DREAM Act Application School Code: 00119100

Contact Financial Aid


Telephone: 925-969-2009


Fax: 925-691-1132 

Office location: SSC building, first floor Pleasant Hill campus map

Office location

Admissions and Records, San Ramon campus map