Early Childhood Education
Possible career opportunities - Early Childhood Education
Some positions held by early childhood professional are: classroom aide, ECE teacher, site supervisor, program director, child care provider, adult educator of families and other professionals, resource and referral professional, social service worker, youth and family service service worker, camp counselor, recreation leader, foster care provider, mental health paraprofessional, or child advocate.
Possible career opportunities - Education
Preparation for teaching may be useful for students who also wish to pursue careers in human resources, counseling, communication studies, recreation administration. social welfare, and corporate training.
Possible career opportunities - Sign Language
There is a need for skilled, qualified sign language interpreters in education and social service agencies. Teachers, human services providers, or independent living attendants also sometimes use sign language in their work. Some career options require more than two years of college study.
Program requirements maps:
- Early Childhood Certificate of Achievement - Associate Teacher
- Early Childhood Education Certificate of Achievement - Basic
- Early Childhood Education Certificate of Achievement - Teacher
- Early Childhood Education Certificate of Achievement - Master Teacher
- Early Childhood Education Certificate of Achievement - Site Supervisor
- Early Childhood Education AS
- Early Childhood Education AST
- Elementary Teacher Education AAT
Degrees and certificates
Associate in science degree
- Early childhood education (ECE)
Associate in science for transfer
- Early childhood education (ECE)
Certificate of achievement
- Early childhood education - Associate teacher
- Early childhood education - Basic
- Early childhood education - Teacher
- Early childhood education - Master teacher
- Early childhood education - Site supervisor
The Early Childhood Education Department includes the Children's Center program.
The Early Childhood Education Department includes the ECE Professional Development program.
For currently available ECE, EDUC, and SIGN classes, please use our searchable schedule.
The Early Childhood Education Department also supports the Foster and Kinship Care Education Training program. (FKCE)
Diablo Valley, Los Medanos, and Contra Costa Colleges offer a wide array of class topics to meet the "pre-service" and "in-service-ongoing" training requirement for foster
parents and kinship (relative) care providers, consistent with state laws…and local
The early childhood education program prepares students for various careers working directly with children, families and other adults in the early childhood profession.
Diablo Valley College's early childhood education department has created a professional program that is in alignment with the California State Department of Education's Child Development Permit Matrix. Four of the five certificates offered prepare students for the following four levels of the permit matrix:
- associate teacher
- master teacher
- site supervisor
Students working toward the master teacher certificate can achieve one or more of the following specializations:
- creative expression
- infants and toddlers
- language and literature
- science and math
- sign language
- special needs
|Directory:||Early Childhood Education Department faculty and staff|