Physical Disabilities

Construction updates

For updates on DVC construction click on this link- Construction zone update

How to arrange for mobility services

Carts are available to provide on-campus transportation. Students who may be eligible for this service are those with temporary and permanent orthopedic disabilities that affect their mobility.

Schedule an appointment with a DSS counselor to receive authorization for services. Bring verification of disability unless one is already on file with DSS.

Read and sign the Mobility Assistance Contract (SSC 248). A current course schedule must be included with the contract.

Mobility services policy

  1. Mobility services will only be provided to a student who has a verified disability and who has disability-related functional limitations that prevent the student from traversing distances or carrying heavy loads while on campus.
  2. Mobility services are provided to and from classes. Other course related mobility services must be prearranged with the mobility assistance coordinator.
  3. Students may not, while being provided mobility services, ask the mobility assistant to stop to allow them to socialize.
  4. The student must be at the designated area and be ready at the prearranged time.
  5. Mobility services are available on an emergency basis (e.g., after a fall, sudden rain, etc.).
  6. If excused from class early, the student either needs to wait for the scheduled mobility assistant or have someone call the Mobility Assistance Coordinator (e.g., often the instructor is willing to do this).
  7. It is the student's responsibility to notify the Mobility Assistance Coordinator as soon as possible at 925-969-2173 if s/he will be unable to meet the mobility assistant as scheduled. Three (3) failures to notify may result in termination of this service.
  8. The student is responsible for informing the Mobility Assistance Coordinator whenever changes occur that affect the student's need for mobility services.

Accessible parking

DVC does not issue disability parking placards. Students who have a designated license plate or a parking placard issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles do not need a DVC parking permit; they are eligible to park in any specially marked handicapped parking space. If these spaces are full, parking is permitted in any other parking stall. Parking in driveways, on lawns or other prohibited parking locations is not permitted.