Frequently Asked Questions About CalWORKs

Q. What is CalWORKs?
California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids is California's welfare program for families with children. CalWORKs replaced the former AFDC program in January 1998.

CalWORKs funds assist student parents who are receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Family (TANF), and those in transitions off welfare, to achieve long-term self-sufficiency through coordinated student services.

Q. What can the CalWORKs Program do for me?

The CalWORKs program supports eligible students to obtain their educational degrees and certificates and is available to help students meet their Department of Social Services requirements quickly and effectively by providing the following services:

  • educational training programs
  • work study assignment paid jobs that don’t affect cash assistance
  • communication between the Department of Public Social Service (DPSS) about students' needs requests and requirements
  • assistance with advocacy between the county human services department and student needs
  • helpful information on welfare reform and government requirements
  • monitoring academic process
  • coordination of book and school supplies with the county
  • referrals to other campus departments such as:
  • Assessment Center
  • CARE
  • Career and Employment Services
  • Disabled Services (DSPS)
  • Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)
  • Transfer Services

Q. How can I find out if I qualify for CalWORKs?

If you are a low income California resident with at least one child under the age of 19, you can go to the local Contra Costa County Health and Human Services Office office and fill out an application.