Student Rights

The student has the right to the following matriculation services: admissions, assessment, orientation, advisement/ counseling, and follow­-up services (when needed).

Diablo Valley College students are guaranteed the following rights under the State of California Matriculation Regulations:

  1. Assessment: Students are allowed to submit scores from assessment tests taken at another California community college within the last two years in lieu of taking the assessment at DVC, if the assessment instrument is state-­approved and correlation with DVC courses can be established. Title 5 Section 55530(c).

  2. Prerequisites: A student may challenge a required course prerequisite as long as they meet the challenge conditions.

  3. Complaints: A student may file a complaint if he or she believes DVC has failed to make a good faith effort to develop an educational plan or provide specified services once the student has declared a specific educational goal. Title 5 Section 55525(d).

Student responsibilities

As part of the State of California Title 5 Matriculation Regulations, Section 55530 (d), all students are expected
to participate in the matriculation process unless they are exempt (see “exemption” below) or waive the right to participate (see “waiver, appeal, and complaint procedures” below). Through the matriculation process at Diablo Valley College, students agree to the following responsibilities:

  • to express at least a broad educational intent at the time of registration and state a specific educational goal upon completion of 12 units of coursework;

  • to complete a first-term individual educational plan with the assistance of a counselor prior to registering for courses. This is usually done in the orientation and advising class (Counseling 095) for new students;

  • to attend and complete courses: all students are expected to attend their classes regularly, complete assigned coursework on time and complete their courses each term. Students are expected to maintain regular progress toward their educational goal;

  • to seek counseling at least once per term and as needed to review, update, and expand their educational plans and goals. It is particularly important for the following students to seek counseling:

    • students on academic or progress probation;

    • students enrolled in developmental courses. (generally achieved through counselor visits to such classes during the term or can be achieved in consultation with the instructor or instructor advisor in the department);

    • students who have not declared an educational goal. Such students are sent a letter explaining options available in identifying and updating their educational goal.


Some students may choose to be exempted from assessment, orientation or counseling. Typically students seeking an exemption from matriculation services meet one of the following criteria:

• the student has earned an associate degree or higher;

• the student is enrolled in a job-­related course;

• the student has one of the following educational goals: to learn or update job skills, to maintain certificate or  
license, or to pursue a special personal interest;

• the student is enrolled in six units or less.

Waiver, appeal, and complaint procedures

Students who wish to request waivers or file appeals or complaints on the basis of their Title 5 Matriculation Rights must follow the sequence of the steps outlined. (Students ling other types of complaints or alleging discriminatory practices should follow the procedures listed in the Student Code of Conduct and Student Disciplinary and Due Process Procedures.)

1. Initial review of waiver, appeal, or complaint

  1. The student should contact the office of the dean of counseling and enrollment services and complete an “appeal or request for waiver” form or file a complaint regarding matriculation rights.

  2. The dean or designee may contact the student and schedule a meeting to discuss the problem and/or inform the student of the decision.

  3. In the event that the appeal or request for waiver is not granted, the student will be advised of his/her rights to further appeal and the correct procedures to follow.

2. Appeal to the vice president of student services or designee.

  1. If the initial appeal or request for waiver is not granted and the student does not accept this decision, the student may submit the initial form to the vice president of student services for further review.

  2. The vice president of student services or designee will review the appeal and may meet with the student if deemed necessary.

  3. The vice president of student services or designee will inform the student of the decision concerning the appeal or request for waiver.