Frequently Asked Questions

Take a moment to review the following links as they answer some of our most common questions. If you don't find the answers you're looking for here, please also try the DVC Counseling Video Library.



How can a DVC counselor help me?

DVC counselors provide academic, career, and personal counseling. We can help you with the process of determining your educational and career goals and developing a plan to achieve those goals. We also can refer you to services to help you be successful.

Return to top

How can I make an appointment to see a counselor?

  • Counseling options are listed on the Counseling homepage.
  • For questions that do not require a review of your transcripts or educational planning, choose Drop-In 
  • If you have not previously attended a college or university, you may schedule an Appointment through the online appointment scheduling system 
  • If you have previously attended a college or university, please submit official transcripts from all of the colleges/universities that you have attended to the Admissions and Records office. After you have submitted your official transcripts call 925-969-2140 to request that your transcripts be evaluated for CSUGE, IGETC, and/or an associate degree.

DVC accepts transcripts from institutions (e.g., colleges, universities, and high schools) currently recognized by regional accrediting organizations as recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Return to top

How do I become a student at DVC?

Review the "Apply to DVC" webpage.

Return to top

 As an international student, how do I enroll at DVC?

Detailed information about applying to DVC and next steps after you apply can be found on the International Student Office (ISO) website.

Return to top

How do I add/drop a course?

Review the "Registration?" webpage.

Return to top

I'm interested in transferring to a private or out-of-state college or university. How do I know which courses to take?

Determining necessary coursework for transfer to a private or out-of-state college or university can be a complicated process. DVC has Articulation Agreements with some private and out-of-state college and universities. It is still recommended that you meet with a DVC counselor to understand the agreements and discuss your options for institutions without articulation agreements, however you will be responsible for contacting the institution you are interested in to discuss which courses may be appropriate to complete at DVC. You may also want to visit the DVC Transfer Center which has a number of resources for people interested in attending a private or out-of-state college or university.

Return to top

How do I calculate my GPA (grade point average), my transferable GPA?

To calculate your transferrable GPA, please do the following, but be sure to only include UC or CSU transferable courses.

Transferable GPA is calculated by taking the total number of transferable grade points earned and dividing it by the units attempted for a grade.

A = 4 pts, B = 3 pts, C = 2 pts, D = 1 pt, F = 0 pt.





(Pts x Units)

Math 192





ENGL 122





HIST 120



















GPA (Points/Units)= 3.0

You can find a list of UC and CSU transferable courses on ASSIST. You may also use this helpful GPA Calculator from San Francisco State University.

Return to top

What do I do if the courses I want to take are full?

Review these resources on how to add classes after the semester has begun:  
Late Registration   
InSite Instructions for Late Registration 

Return to top

What is the maximum number of units I can take Pass/No Pass?

The University of California (UC) system will accept a maximum of 14 UC-transferable units with a “Pass” or “Credit” grade (see UC Transfer Requirements). The California State University (CSU) system limitations vary by campus; check with the campus of your choice. Private and out-of-state institutions will have varying rules. Refer to the websites of the institutions you are interested in attending for details. Please review the Pass/No Pass FAQ information before deciding to take a class  Pass/No Pass.

Return to top

If I believe I already meet the prerequisite for a course, what do I do?

For prerequisite coursework taken outside the Contra Costa Community College District (CCC, DVC, or LMC), you must submit a Prerequisite Form along with documentation proving that you have completed the prerequisite (e.g. copy of transcript, exam score report, etc.). The instructions for submitting the Prerequisite Form are on the online form. Please contact the DVC Admissions and Records Office for any questions.

Return to top

What should I do if I get a "D" or "F" in a course?

When students receive a substandard grade (“D,” “F,” or “NP”) for a course, they may enroll in the same course a second time without being required to request permission. Students attempting to enroll in the same course for a third time will be blocked from registration and required to submit a petition to repeat. When a course is repeated to alleviate a substandard grade, only the last grade and its units will be used in computing the student's grade point average. The substandard grade will remain on the student's transcript with a notation that the course has been repeated. 

Academic renewal without course repetition is also an option.  Both the CSU and UC systems honor academic renewal, so they will not count the first grade, either, and it will most likely not affect your admissions to the university.  The form for Academic Renewal without Course Repetition is available from Admissions and Records, and the process requires counselor review and approval.   Policies and practices of independent and out-of-state universities vary in regards to academic renewal, so contact those universities directly to determine their philosophy about academic renewal grades. 

For more information about repeating and other grading policies please visit DVC Grading Policy

Return to top

How does a "W" affect my admissions to a college or university?

“W” grades (withdrawals) generally do not have a negative impact for CSU and UC admission; however, if students have many “W” grades they should provide an explanation on their university applications. Policies and practices of independent and out-of-state universities vary, so contact those universities directly to determine their policies on “W” grades.  “W” grades have no effect on the college GPA.

Return to top

How can I dispute a grade that I received?

The DVC Catalog clearly outlines the proper procedures for dispute resolution with instructors and other faculty or staff members of DVC. For full information on the grade appeal process, see "Steps for resolution of grade complaints" under the "Academic requirements and policies" section of the college catalog.  Refer to the DVC Catalog for more details. 

Return to top

Where do I find important dates and deadlines?

You can find important dates and deadlines by viewing the DVC Academic Calendar. Click on the individual semester’s “Important Dates” for refund, drop, and other deadlines. Other useful calendars can also be found at this link.

Return to top

How can I find admissions statistics about the University of California system?

The Information Center of University of California webpage to find statistics on the University of California system. The Transfers by Major information is most helpful for most transfer students. 

Return to top

How many units must I be enrolled in to be considered "full-time"?

A student must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 units in fall or spring term or 4 units in a six-week summer session to be considered a full-time student. 15 units is the usual load for students who wish to complete 60 units in two years/four semesters. Be aware that some programs (i.e., financial aid) view full time status over the summer differently then the general college policy.

Return to top

How can I apply for financial aid?

You may apply for federal financial aid online. Also, you should visit the DVC Financial Aid website for more information. Please be advised that there are specific deadlines for financial aid that may apply.

Return to top

How can I apply for scholarships?

You may apply for DVC Scholarships and learn more about external scholarships including scholarship search engines through the DVC Financial Aid Office. Please be advised that there are specific deadlines for scholarships.

Return to top